Houston’s Three Brothers Bakery was on a growth trajectory after adding stores in 2012 and 2014. However, that growth was put on hold as Houston experienced three floods in less than three years from 2015 to 2017.
Hurricane Harvey, the most recent of those natural disasters, was especially tough on the bakery. The road to recovery has been long, but Three Brothers Bakery sets a positive example for other small businesses with its perseverance and hard work to get back to where it once was.
The bakery received the SBA 2018 Phoenix Award for Outstanding Small Business Disaster Recovery for its efforts following Hurricane Harvey. They even inspired VISA to put a spotlight on small business resiliency with the launch of its back to business project.
“Our next decade will focus on growth and advocating for reforms to help more small businesses survive these catastrophic events,” says co-owner Bobby Jucker.
As the bakery approaches its 70th anniversary celebration, the Juckers continue to shine a light on small business survivorship. They have appealed to lawmakers in Washington, D.C. to make changes that could help more small businesses survive these frequent natural disasters.
“Too many small businesses do not survive these natural disasters, especially low margin businesses such as food and retail establishments. Small businesses are the income stream for 50% of America; we need to make sure they survive and thrive,” says co-owner Janice Jucker.
During its anniversary celebration on May 8, Three Brothers Bakery will have several different events:
- 6:30am-7p.m. – At its Braeswood location, all Three Brothers Bakery cookies will be on sale for 70 cents (excludes dipped decorated and gingerbread men).
- 9 a.m. – Janice Jucker will share lessons learned after their business survived 4 floods, a fire, and a hurricane on a panel facilitated by the Texas Division of Emergency Management and SBA SCORE at the Westin Galleria.
- 11:30 a.m. – At the SBA SCORE Houston annual awards luncheon, the Juckers will receive the U. S. Small Business Administration Award for Family Owned Business of the Year – Houston District at the Westin Galleria.
- Following lunch – The Juckers will host VIPs from the SBA Region office and VISA at Three Brothers Bakery’s Braeswood location with a focus on what it takes to recover from a natural disaster.
- 4 p.m. – A presentation of proclamations, including one by City of Houston Council member Martha Castex-Tatum, and a cake cutting will take place at Three Brothers Bakery Braeswood, with all invited to take part in the celebration.