Recently, the James Beard Foundation revealed the semifinalists for its 2019 James Beard Foundation Awards. These awards recognize the best in the food industry, with categories such as Outstanding Baker.
One of the semifinalists for that particular award is Nathaniel Reid of Nathaniel Reid Bakery in Kirkwood, Missouri. The talented baker and pastry chef is looking to pass along his knowledge this spring and summer in a series of classes taking place at his bakery.
“Guests really learn the professional technique and philosophy that goes into our pastries here at Nathaniel Reid Bakery. They get to work alongside us to craft, bake, and plate their own masterpieces as well as take the recipes home to impress their friends and family,” says Reid.
Among the classes, which cost $975 each for an individual or a group of up to 12 people:
- Summer Tarts – Technique in baking and decorating tender tarts and creamy custard
- Chocolate Extravaganza – Decadent chocolate truffles, chocolate sables, and spiced hot chocolate
- French Macarons – Secrets and tricks for this finicky French confection
- Pate-a-Choux – Classic and versatile French pastry for éclairs, Gougeres, and choux a la crème
- Candies & Caramels – Nut brittles, marshmallows, caramels, and more
Participants are invited to arrive before each class begins to meet the chefs and enjoy sweets, sandwiches, quiche, coffee, tea, and water. After each class, they go home with a signed certificate of completion and the delicious dessert they just created.