Brian Stevens, owner of Crazy Cakes in Austin, TX, and competitor on TLC's Cake Boss: Next Great Baker, is known for extreme and realistic sculpted cakes. At the Icing on the Cake show in Kansas City, Stevens demonstrated some of his tricks when it comes to sculpting a body. One specific aspect he talked about was the eyes. Here are a few tips that Stevens offers on sculpting realistic eyes on a 3-D cake.
- Remember the eye socket. You need to have a groove to place the eye into; otherwise the eye will just be sitting on top of the face.
- A realistic eye also needs to have eyelids. Roll out and cut slivers in the shape of crescents or "hills" for the eyelids.
- Remember to make eyelids for the top and bottom.
- Knead the eyelids into the head and eye. then knead, mold and adjust to create the shape of the eye/eyelids.
- Eyelids should be thicker on the top and thinner on the bottom.
For more photos of Stevens' Crazy Cakes designs, visit www.crazycakes.com