1 1/2 cups dried Montmorency tart cherries
3 pounds frozen Montmorency tart cherries, mostly thawed
2 tablespoons Montmorency tart cherry juice
2/3 cup honey-bourbon
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons tapioca starch, divided
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unflavored whey protein
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons chilled honey-bourbon
3 tablespoons ice water
1. Combine dried Montmorency tart cherries and 2/3 cup honey-bourbon in a medium bowl. Cover and let rehydrate overnight.
2. The next day, combine thawed Montmorency tart cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Allow to sit for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, whey protein, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3 tablespoons chilled honey-bourbon and ice water. Pulse until mixture pulls together into a ball. Split dough evenly in half.
4. Place half of dough between two pieces of lightly floured parchment paper. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer dough to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate and press gently to fit, leaving an overhang of dough over edges.
5. Place remaining half of dough between lightly floured parchment paper. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Trim dough into a 9-inch square; discarding remaining dough pieces. Cut dough into 1 1/2-inch strips. Place strips in a lattice arrangement. Chill lattice and crust-lined pie plate for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drain thawed cherry mixture; discard juices or use for another purpose. Add dried Montmorency tart cherries to thawed cherries.
7. Add honey, Montmorency tart cherry juice, salt and 3 tablespoons tapioca starch to cherry mixture. Stir well. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon tapioca starch over crust. Tightly arrange cherries over dough, mounding them slightly higher in the center.
8. Lay lattice strips over cherry mixture. Pinch bottom crust and lattice edges; crimp edges. Combine egg and 1 teaspoon water; brush egg wash over crust and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool completely before serving. Serve with a drizzle of honey or sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Formulation courtesy of Gretchen Brown, via Montmorency Tart Cherries