Bakeries put together final touches on National Bakery Day preparations
Thursday, September 28 marks one of the most important days of 2017 for retail bakeries across the country. The first-ever National Bakery Day is the culmination of months of preparation from the Retail Bakers of America (RBA) in conjunction with retail bakeries to spread the word and develop ideas for promoting the big day.
This is not only a time to celebrate the vital role these bakeries play in their communities, but also a time to recognize the customers who give them their business and help them thrive.
The idea to recognize these bakeries first came from the owner of Grandma’s Bakery in White Bear Lake, Minnesota and RBA member John Lupo. He says the inspiration for National Bakery Day came, in part, from the enormous success of Record Store Day, which just celebrated its 10th anniversary in April.
Much like Record Store Day, this holiday is an opportunity to recognize a special industry. Bakeries have been coming up with creative ways to bring in customers on National Bakery Day. For instance, Lupo and Grandma’s Bakery will have a huge donut sale, a contest to win free donuts for a year, bakery tours, demonstrations, prizes, an old fashioned cake walk, and the opportunity for customers to buy a loaf of bread and have another donated to a local food pantry.
Here are some other unique National Bakery Day promotions we’ve seen from bakeries:
- James Beard Foundation award-winner Joanne Chang's Flour Bakery + Café will have demonstrations and will sell mini cupcakes with the proceeds going to Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign.
- Recent winner of the first-ever Sweetest Bakery in America contest Lochel's Bakery in Hatboro, Pennsylvania will offer free cups of coffee and special discounts with purchases.
- Roeser’s Bakery in Chicago will donate 100% of custom cookie sales on National Bakery Day to Hurricane Maria victims in Puerto Rico to help with the relief effort.
- In Cold Spring, Minnesota, Cold Spring Bakery has promoted National Bakery Day with weekly billboards in September that tie to specials at the bakery.
- Local bakeries in Healdsburg, California got their mayor and city council to proclaim September 28, 2017 as National Bakery Day.
- JudyPie in Grapevine, Texas is holding a pie baking contest for home bakers, with the winning pie being featured as the bakery’s Pie of the Month and proceeds from its sales being donated to the pie winner’s favorite charity.
- Many bakeries are creating special treats for National Bakery Day. Sweet T's Bakery & Cake Studio in Arlington Heights, Illinois put together this fun cake in preparation.
- Creative Cakes in Tinley Park, Illinois is giving customers a chance to win a special prize on National Bakery Day. Five dessert boxes will contain a golden ticket for a $100 Creative Cakes gift card to be redeemed within 28 days of receipt.
- Sugar Leaf Bakery and Cafe in Branson, Missouri is giving away free merchandise to customers, such as t-shirts, canvas bags, and aprons.
- Tiffany's Bakery and Eatery in Columbia, South Carolina will also be celebrating its 40th anniversary on September 28. The bakery will play off the number 40 with promotions like 40 cent bakery items, special cookies in the shape of the number 40, and a giveaway of a $40 store gift certificate every hour at 40 minutes after.
- Cannon’s Bakery in Newark, Delaware will hold a 1-pound éclair eating contest, with the winner receiving free cake for a year.
These are just a few of the countless bakeries doing their part to promote National Bakery Day. Thursday, September 28 will be a special day for the baking community, and we invite you to join in on the celebration!