The best breakfast foods for weight loss
Dr. Charles Galanis, a board certified surgeon in Chicago, and Robert Dorfman, Research Fellow at Northwestern Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, advise on certain foods in order to have a healthy start to the day. A healthy breakfast can regulate one’s appetite and help cut calories for safe weight loss.
Here are some of the foods they recommend:
1. Eggs - “Eggs are one of the best sources of protein and essential amino acids in existence, with 94 percent net protein, as opposed to approximately 70 percent for meat and poultry. High protein content means that you stay fuller for longer,” say Dr. Galanis and Dr. Dorfman.
2. Chicken Sausage - Lean meats, coupled with eggs, can further increase protein and iron content. “Pork sausage is high in calories and unhealthy fats.Chicken sausage is lower in calories and fat, but equally high in protein,” Dr. Galanis and Dr. Dorfman say.
3. Nuts - “Almonds, pecans, and walnuts are great sources of healthy polyunsaturated fats. Remember that nuts are very calorie-dense foods, so limit yourself to no more than a handful,” Dr. Galanis and Dr. Dorfman advise.
4. Fruit - Fresh fruit is “low in fat and calories, but high in fiber and other key nutrients, including vitamin C. Avoid canned or frozen fruit, as these typically contain additives and are generally less nutritious,” Dr. Galanis and Dr. Dorfman recommend.
5. Nonfat Greek Yogurt - “Nonfat Greek Yogurt is a great source of B vitamins, calcium, protein, potassium, and zinc,” Dr. Galanis and Dr. Dorfman explain.
6. Black Coffee - “A 16-ounce cup of coffee can have as much as 300mg of caffeine. Caffeine can slightly boost the human body’s mechanism for burning calories (also known as thermogenesis). To avoid empty calories, avoid cream and sugar in your coffee, especially if you are trying to lose weight. Some studies have also shown that drinking coffee can protect against Type 2 diabetes,” Dr. Galanis and Dr.Dorfman recommend.