Babson Food Day
Babson College celebrates food as everybody's business. On October 23 in Wellesley, Mass., Babson's action tank for food entrepreneurship, Food Sol, will host the 4th annual Babson Food Day as part of the nationwide Food Day movement. The day-long series of events includes food stories, panels, showcases, and a locally-sourced lunch.
Babson entrepreneurs-in-residence Andrew Zimmern and Gail Simmons (Top Chef, Food & Wine Magazine) are among food entrepreneurs participating in Babson Food Day. Bakery experts include Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery.
Babson Food Day offers a "menu" of options: food stories from across the system; start-ups and fresh ideas from students; corporate pathways into food; and culinary and restaurant innovation.
10 am - "Food is Everybody's Business"
Food stories from across the system
- Rose Arruda, Urban Ag Coordinator, MDAR
- Dr. Fred Opie, Professor of History and Foodways
- Sally Sampson, Founder, ChopChop Kids
- Ian So (B'08), Founder, Chicken and Rice Guys
- Dave Stangis, VP, Public Affairs and Corporate Responsibility, Campbell Soup Company
- Gail Simmons, Entrepreneur-in-Residence
- Andrew Zimmern, Entrepreneur-in-Residence
Noon - "Marketplace of Great Food + Ideas" with Babson Sustainability and Babson Dining
Food innovation fair + locally-sourced lunch*
* There is $6 cash charge for the lunch for non-Babson attendees
2 p.m. "Quick Service Incubator" with Babson Alumni & Friends Network
Entrepreneurs each pitch a business challenge to the audience, which then divides into small groups for rapid brainstorming on possible solutions. Audience and guest experts then pitch possibilities back to the entrepreneurs. This signature Food Sol design emphasizes multidisciplinary problem solving and learning for the whole room.
- Heather Ahern (M'12) & Alison Darnell (M'09), Atlantic Saltworks
- Alex Burakovsky (B '01), GrillEasy
- Octavia Costea (M '15), Spreads and Beyond
- Gisela Macedo (M '15), Brazilian candy concept
- Bob Burke (M '87), Owner, Natural Products Consulting
- Adam Melonas, Founder, Chew Lab
- Tom Ryan, Founder, Smashburger
- Gail Simmons, Babson Entrepreneur-in-Residence
- Andrew Zimmern, Babson Entrepreneur-in-Residence
- Rachel Greenberger (M'11), Director, Food Sol
4 p.m. "Career Pathways into Food" with Babson Centers for Career Development
Career conversation on the food industry with a focus on pathways into the corporate food sector. Company participants share their food stories, which opens into an interactive dialogue with the audience.
- Bruno Andreoli, Brand Manager, SmartOnes (H.J. Heinz)
- Mindi Gale, Senior Recruiter, Sodexo
- Jamin Hemenway, Senior Brand Manager, Stonyfield
6 p.m. "Entrepreneurship + Innovation from the Restaurant World"
Restaurant entrepreneurship with local celebrity chefs and restaurateurs
- Skip Bennett, Island Creek Oysters, ICO Bar
- Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa, Toro
- Joanne Chang, Flour Bakery, Myers + Chang
- Tim & Nancy Cushman, O Ya, Hojoko
- Tiffani Faison, Sweet Cheeks Q
- Matthew Gaudet, West Bridge
- Matt Jennings, Townsman
- Ken Oringer, Clio, Coppa, Toro, Uni, Earth
- Michael Scelfo, Alden & Harlow
- Michael Schlow, Alta Strada, Cavatina, Pine, Tico, Via Matta
- Gail Simmons and
- Andrew Zimmern
Babson College is the educator, convener, and thought leader for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds. The college is a dynamic living and learning laboratory, where students, faculty, and staff work together to address the real-world problems of business and society—while at the same time evolving our methods and advancing our programs
Video: Babson Food Day 2014