Iconic Hostess Twinkie celebrates 80th anniversary
The iconic Hostess Twinkie, one of the sweetest stars to ever grace the American snack cake stage, is celebrating its 80th anniversary in April - capping a remarkable journey that has spanned television and film, given rise to urban legends, and, by presidential decree, come to represent an "object of enduring American symbolism."
Twinkies by the Numbers:
- 500 million: The number of Twinkies baked each year.
- 10: The minutes it takes to bake a Twinkie.
- 1930: The year James Dewar invented the two-for-a-nickel treat.
- 150: The number of calories in one Twinkie.
- 50: The number of recipes in the Twinkies Cookbook.
- 7: The number of Twinkies needed to make the "Patriotic Twinkie Pie" recipe in the Twinkies Cookbook.
- 1: The rank of New Orleans in terms of per capita Twinkie consumption compared to other cities in the U.S.
- 1999: The year President Bill Clinton included Twinkies in the millennium time capsule.
- 26 days: The shelf life of a Twinkie.
For more information about Twinkies or other Hostess products visit www.hostesscakes.com. Hostess Brands, Inc. is one of the nation's largest providers of fresh-baked bread and sweet goods, sold under various brand names including Wonder, Merita, Home Pride, Nature's Pride, Hostess, Drake's, and Dolly Madison. The company is headquartered in Irving, Texas.