Donuts for summer’s dog days
Americans love their donuts. Each year, the doughnut industry pulls in a whopping $12 billion in sales, according to data gathered by Statista. Donut sales are often the highest in autumn, as the weather gets colder; however, they tend to dwindle a bit in the hot summer months.
Fortunately for your bottom line, three holidays fall right in the middle of summer, providing you with a built-in promotional strategy for your donuts. So, begin planning now for National Donut Day, Father’s Day, and the Fourth of July.
Several weeks in advance of each of these summer holidays, begin displaying relevant signage that features your donuts around your bakery. For an additional touch of flair, advertise that you will be unveiling a stylish new signature donut in honor of one or more of the holidays. Keep the exact flavor a secret, though, so that by the time the holiday finally rolls around, your customers will be lining up to find out what it is.
For inspiration, check out eight of the wildest donut flavors that bakeries across the country are offering:
- Bacon and Cheddar Stuffed Donuts –The Holy Donut in Portland, ME
- Green Tea and Sesame Donuts – Union Square Donuts in Somerville, MA
- Grapefruit Campari Old-Fashioned Donuts – Golden Brown Delicious (GBD) in Washington, DC
- Guava and Cheese Donuts – Mojo Donuts in Pembroke Pines, FL
- Peanut Butter and Sriracha Donuts – Glam Doll Donuts in Minneapolis, MN
- Strawberry Cheddar Donuts – Dizzy’s Donuts in Boulder, CO
- Banana Nutella Donuts – Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee in Mesa, CA
- Malted Coffee Cream Donuts – Doughnut Dolly in Oakland, CA
For an added twist, select two or three flavors and put it up for a customer vote. Allow one submission with the purchase of any donut in a specified time period prior to the holidays. When you reveal the winner, your customers will be eager to purchase because they will have played a part in the decision.
Promotions are another great strategy to maximize your donut sales on these three summer holidays. Some possible promotions include:
- National Donut Day: 50 percent off a dozen donuts
- Father’s Day: One free glazed donut with the purchase of another donut for the first 200 dads who come in to the bakery
- Fourth of July: Half a dozen free donut holes with the purchase of half a dozen red, white, and blue donuts
Plan and implement a strategy early, and you will surely see a spike – rather than a dip – in donut sales this summer.