Creating a positive working atmosphere at your bakery
Your bakery staff is not only comprised of dedicated workers who bring your menu to life, but also a collection of unique individuals whom you spend your days with and can make your work experience better or worse depending on the atmosphere you’ve created.
It’s important to recognize the contributions your employees make to your bakery’s success. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it is also a smart business practice. Acknowledging employee achievements is a proven long-term motivator, effectively maintaining morale and boosting productivity.
There are simple ways to do this beyond occasional vocal recognition. Here are just a few options you can look at using at your bakery:
- Promotion on social media – Every so often, you can spotlight one employee’s contributions on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram. This can be work-related, such as a significant period of time worked at the bakery or a display of effort that goes above and beyond, or it can be non-work-related. Examples of this could be educational pursuit, sporting achievements, or new family additions.
- Paid days off – It’s no secret that employees need the occasional respite to recharge and return to work with energy. It can also be used as an incentive to reward outstanding work.
- Allow more staff involvement in business decisions – This can range from the small to the large. Give each employee the chance to name a bakery special of the day or a unique flavor offering. Ask for their input on aesthetics like dining area layout or creative bakery signage.
- Special gifts – Random acts of kindness can go a long way towards showing your appreciation to your staff. Personalized gifts can make a person’s day. You can even hold special events for your employees, like a pizza party or a group outing to a bar, music venue, or performance.
- Create a company newsletter – An intra-bakery blog or newsletter can allow employees a chance to be highlighted through personal stories or creative columns. Providing that extra outlet can show them that you value their personality and wisdom.
Does your bakery recognize your employees in unique ways? We’d love to hear about it, so feel free to share your ideas with us on Facebook or Twitter and we’ll share them with the Bake Magazine community!